The Blog post contains the following IELTS Reading Questions:
- IELTS Reading True/False or Not Given
- IELTS Reading Sentence Completion
- IELTS Reading Multiple Choice Questions
Albert Einstein IELTS Reading Passage
Albert Einstein is one of, if not the most, well-known scientists from the 20th century. In 1921, he was awarded the Nobel Prize in Physics for the theories of special and general relativity. His views on the nature of matter, gravity, space, and time are widely known. His most famous idea is that matter and force are really just different names for the same thing. Einstein was born on March 14, 1879. He lived in the city called Wurttemberg, located in Germany. His family was Jewish, but while growing up without much of a religious upbringing, he eventually developed a strong interest in Judaism. Einstein did not begin speaking until he was three years old, as is widely documented. Speaking was so difficult for him that his family worried he might never begin. When he was four years old, Einstein’s father gave him a magnetic compass. This compass inspired him to explore the field of science. He was interested as to why, regardless of how he turned the compass, the needle always pointed north. It looked like the needle was moving by itself.
The needle was sealed inside its container, therefore it goes without saying that the wind could not have moved it. As a result, Einstein developed a passion for mathematics and the natural sciences. He had taught himself Euclidean geometry by the time he was 12 since he was so intelligent. At the ripe old age of fifteen, he began his formal education in Munich, which he found to be a dull endeavor. After completing high school in Aarau, Switzerland, he moved to Zurich and enrolled in the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology, where he graduated in 1900. However, Einstein also had issues with the curriculum there. He frequently skipped class in favor, on his own violin practice or physics studies. On the other hand, he was able to pass his exams by consulting a classmate’s notes. His academics didn’t think much of him and wouldn’t suggest him for a teaching post. He was able to land a job in a Swiss patent office in this way. He produced works there that would eventually establish him as a well-known figure in the scientific community.
Einstein had two severely mentally challenged kids with his first wife, Mileva. He had a daughter before his wedding to her in January 1902. Her name has been lost to history. Her grandparents from Serbia cared for her till she went away when she was just two years old. Although her death was often attributed to scarlet fever, there is some evidence to suggest she may have had Down syndrome. However, there is insufficient evidence to draw any firm conclusions. In truth, Mileva was unknown until the discovery of 54 love letters between Einstein and his granddaughter in 2003. She uncovered the correspondence while cleaning out their California attic and found it in a shoe box. The Einsteins’ son, Eduard, has a mental disorder called schizophrenia. After spending years in a hospital, he eventually passed away in Zurich, Switzerland, in 1965. Just prior to the start of World War I, Einstein moved back to Germany and accepted a post as the headmaster of a school. In 1933, he fled Nazi persecution by moving to the United States, where he remained until his death on April 18, 1955.
Albert Einstein IELTS Reading Questions
Do the following statements agree with the information given in the text? For questions 1-8, write
TRUE if the statement agrees with the information
FALSE if the statement contradicts the information
NOT GIVEN if there is no information on this
- A key concept in contemporary physics is the general theory of relativity.
- People around Einstein believed he would never be able to talk because of his linguistic difficulties.
- Einstein reasoned that only wind could be causing the compass needle to sway.
- Einstein had positive experiences with educational practices in Switzerland.
- A self-taught musician, Einstein was able to play the violin.
- His two-year-old daughter died of schizophrenia.
- It wasn’t until between 1897 and 1903 that the world learned about a daughter.
- Einstein relocated to the United States in 1933, where he became a citizen.
Choose the correct letter, A, B, C, or D.
9. Einstein’s daughter’s name
- is a mystery
- was not chosen by him
- was discovered in a shoe box
- is shared by his granddaughter
10. His professors would not put him up for a teaching post at a university because
- he seldom skipped classes
- they did not think highly of him
- they thought he was a Nazi
- his wife was Serbian
11. Albert Einstein, a well-known scientist, was of
- American origin
- Austrian origin
- Jewish origin
- Swiss origin
Complete the sentences below.
Choose NO MORE THAN THREE WORDS from the text for each answer.
He sought to figure out how the needle might appear to move such that it always 12.______.
He frequently skipped lessons in order to study physics or perform music 13.______
Albert Einstein Reading Answers
5. Not Given
6. Not Given
8. Not Given
12. Pointed note
13. On his own