You should spend about 20 minutes on this task.
You have a full-time job and are also doing a part-time evening course. You now find that you cannot continue the course.
Write a letter to the course tutor. In your letter,
- describe the situation
- explain why you cannot continue at this time
- say what action you would like to take
You should write at least 150 words.
You do NOT need to write any addresses.
Begin your letter as follows:
- Overwhelmed (adjective) – Feeling as if everything is too much or too difficult to deal with.
- Example: With both the full-time job and the evening course, I felt completely overwhelmed.
- Deferred (adjective) – Put off to a later time; postponed.
- Example: I am considering a deferred enrollment for the next semester.
- Re-enroll (verb) – To officially join a course, school, etc. again.
- Example: I hope to re-enroll when my schedule allows.
Dear Dr. Harrison,
I hope this letter finds you in good health and high spirits. I am writing to inform you about a significant change in my personal and professional circumstances that, regrettably, impacts my ability to continue with the Advanced Marketing Strategies evening course.
As you are aware, alongside this course, I am committed to a full-time job. Initially, I believed I could manage both these responsibilities. However, as the weeks have passed, the demands of my job have unexpectedly increased, often requiring me to work overtime. I’ve found myself overwhelmed, struggling to give my best to both my job and the coursework.
Given the current situation, I believe it would be in my best interest and the course’s integrity that I defer my enrollment to a later date. This way, I hope to return with the ability to give the commitment and dedication the course truly deserves.
I am hoping for your understanding and support in this matter. Could we possibly discuss the process for deferring my enrollment and what steps need to be taken? I am eager to re-enroll once my work commitments subside, hopefully by the next academic year.
Thank you for your understanding and guidance throughout this time. I genuinely appreciate the knowledge I’ve gained so far and am eager to resume my learning journey when circumstances permit.