You should spend about 20 minutes on this task.
You borrowed some books from your school or college library. Unfortunately, you have to go away to visit a sick relative and cannot return the books in time.
Write a letter to the library. Explain what has happened and tell them what you want to do about it.
You should write at least 150 words.
You do NOT need to write your own address.
Begin your letter as follows:
Writing Task 1: How to Solve
Dear Library Manager,
I hope this letter finds you well. I am writing to inform you about a sudden situation that has arisen and to discuss the overdue books I have borrowed from the library.
Two weeks ago, I borrowed three books from our school library: “To Kill a Mockingbird”, “The Catcher in the Rye”, and “The Great Gatsby”. The due date for their return is this Friday. However, I received an emergency call from my family yesterday informing me about the critical health condition of a close relative. I need to travel out of town immediately and will be away for at least two weeks, making it impossible for me to return the books on time.
I understand and value the importance of returning library books promptly so that others may also have access to them. Therefore, I’d like to propose a solution. If possible, could I extend the due date for these books by another two weeks? Alternatively, I have a trusted friend who can return them on my behalf if no extension is possible. Please let me know if this is acceptable.
I deeply regret this inconvenience and assure you that such a situation was not anticipated. I appreciate the library’s understanding and flexibility in this unexpected scenario.
Thank you for your consideration, and I await your guidance on the best course of action.
Writing Task 1: Questions and Answer
- Definition: Not done or happening when expected or when needed; late.
- Example: The library charges a small fee for overdue books.
- Definition: A serious, unexpected, and often dangerous situation requiring immediate action.
- Example: Due to an emergency, he had to leave the meeting abruptly.
- Definition: With little or no delay; immediately.
- Example: She responded promptly to the email.
- Definition: A written outline of a film, novel, or stage work giving details of the plot.
- Example: The best-case scenario is that we finish the project a week ahead of schedule.
- Definition: The quality of bending easily without breaking; willingness to change or compromise.
- Example: Flexibility in one’s schedule can lead to a better work-life balance.
Writing Task 1: