You should spend about 20 minutes on this task.
You find that your study load is too heavy and you would like to withdraw from two courses.
Write a letter to your college teacher explaining why you need to withdraw from two courses. Ask if it is possible to obtain a refund.
You should write at least 150 words.
You do NOT need to write any addresses.
Begin your letter as follows:
Writing Task 1: How to Solve
Dear Professor Thompson,
I hope this letter finds you well. I am writing to inform you about my current academic situation and to discuss the possibility of withdrawing from two of the courses I enrolled in this semester.
The past few weeks have been an eye-opener regarding the workload and demands of the classes I’ve chosen. While I was optimistic about managing all of them at the beginning of the semester, I have found that the sheer volume of assignments, projects, and readings has been overwhelming, leading to stress and affecting the quality of my work across all subjects.
Moreover, recent unforeseen family responsibilities have arisen, requiring more of my time and attention, further constraining my ability to effectively manage the full course load. Given these circumstances, I believe it would be in my best interest to withdraw from the courses “Advanced Microeconomics” and “Philosophy of Science”.
I kindly request your guidance on how to navigate this process. Additionally, considering my early decision to withdraw, I’d like to inquire if it would be possible to obtain a refund for these two courses or have it adjusted for the next semester’s fees.
I deeply regret the inconvenience this might cause and I assure you that this decision was made after much deliberation, keeping my academic performance and mental well-being in mind.
Thank you for your understanding and I look forward to your guidance on the matter.
Writing Task 1:
- Definition: An event or situation that reveals an unexpected truth about a situation or a person.
- Example: The documentary on climate change was a real eye-opener for many.
- Definition: Very intense or strong; overpowering in effect or strength.
- Example: The first day of university can be overwhelming for many students.
- Definition: Not anticipated or predicted; unexpected.
- Example: The unforeseen challenges of the project led to a delay in completion.
- Definition: Long and careful consideration or discussion.
- Example: After much deliberation, they decided to move to a new city.
- Definition: Plan and direct the route or course of something, especially a ship, aircraft, or other vehicle.
- Example: It’s essential to know how to navigate the complex regulations of international trade.