You should spend about 20 minutes on this task.
You are applying for a job and need a letter of reference from someone who knew you when you were at college.
Write a letter to one of your old teachers asking for a reference. In your letter:
- say what job you have applied for
- explain why you want this job
- suggest what information the teacher should include
Write at least 150 words.
You do NOT need to write your own addresses.
Begin your letter as follows:
- Reference (noun) – A letter which assesses the qualities, characteristics, and capabilities of the person being recommended.
- Example: A good reference can significantly improve one’s chances of securing a job.
- Credential (noun) – A qualification, achievement, quality, or aspect of a person’s background.
- Example: My academic credentials from college would be crucial for this position.
- Endorse (verb) – Declare one’s public approval or support.
- Example: I hope you can endorse my skills and qualifications.
Dear Professor Thompson,
I trust this letter finds you well. It has been quite some time since we last interacted during my final year at the university, where you taught me Advanced Economic Theories. I am reaching out with a request that is of significant importance to my budding career.
I have recently applied for the position of Economic Analyst at Prestige Financials, a leading finance and analytics firm. The role primarily involves analyzing market trends and forecasting future economic scenarios, aligning closely with what I studied under your guidance. This job is not just a perfect match for my academic qualifications and interests, but it also offers a unique platform to apply theoretical knowledge to real-world challenges, making it an ideal starting point for my career.
Given our interaction during my time in college and the extensive coursework I completed under your supervision, I believe you are the best person to provide a reference that reflects my academic prowess and dedication. I would greatly appreciate it if you could highlight my research skills, particularly the project on “Economic Indicators and Their Real-world Implications” that I spearheaded in my final year, along with my consistent academic performance and active participation in college seminars.
Your endorsement would immensely boost my credentials for this position. I would be truly grateful if you could provide this reference at your earliest convenience, as the company is eager to begin the interview process.
Thank you for considering my request. Please do let me know if you need any additional details or clarifications.