You should spend about 20 minutes on this task.
You are not happy with the course you are doing at college and would like to change to a different course.
Write a letter to the Head of Department to change your course. In your letter, explain:
what course you are doing now
why you are not satisfied with that course
what course you would like to change to
Write at least 150 words.
You do NOT need to write your own address.
Begin your letter as follows:
Writing Task 1: How to Solve
Dear Dr. Thompson,
I hope this letter finds you well. My name is [Your Name], and I am currently enrolled in the Bachelor of Arts in History program. I am writing to discuss my concerns regarding the course and express my wish to transfer to a different program within our esteemed college.
I began the History course with great enthusiasm, believing it aligned with my academic interests. However, as the months have progressed, I’ve realized that my true passion lies more within the realm of Literature rather than History. Although the content and teaching methodologies in the History program are beyond reproach, I personally find myself more inclined towards literary analysis, themes, and narratives.
Given this newfound clarity about my academic inclinations, I would like to formally request a transfer to the Bachelor of Arts in Literature program, starting from the next academic semester. I believe this course will be more in tune with my aspirations and future career plans. I’ve consulted with a few Literature professors and students, and I am convinced that this change will be the right decision for my academic growth.
I understand the complexities involved in such a transfer, but I assure you of my commitment to ensuring a smooth transition. Your guidance and support in this matter will be instrumental, and I am ready to meet any requirements or undergo any evaluations deemed necessary.
Thank you for considering my request, and I am hopeful for a positive response. Please let me know if there are any further steps I need to undertake.
Writing Task 1: Questions and Answer
- Enrolled: Registered or entered on an official list or directory.
- Example: I enrolled in the college’s science program last year.
- Inclined: Have a tendency to do something.
- Example: She’s inclined to study arts subjects rather than science.
- Reproach: The expression of disapproval or disappointment.
- Example: The teacher looked at him with reproach when he didn’t submit his assignment.
- Aspirations: A hope or ambition of achieving something.
- Example: He had high aspirations for his son’s education.
- Evaluations: The making of a judgment about the quality, size, value, etc. of something.
- Example: Annual evaluations are conducted to assess employee performance.